Donald John Trump (b. June 14, 1946, in Queens, New York) is the 45th and current president of the United States. He assumed office on January 20, 2017. He filed to run for re-election on the same day.
Key policy initiatives during Trump's first term include the United States withdrawing from the Iran nuclear deal, the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 and First Step Act in 2018, reducing the size of the ISIS caliphate, and establishing the Space Force as an independent military branch. Trump has made more than 200 federal judicial appointments, including two U.S. Supreme Court justices.
During his presidency, Trump has issued eight vetoes. To read more about these vetoes, .
On December 18, 2019, Trump became the third president in U.S. history to be impeached by the U.S. House. The U.S. Senate acquitted Trump on both charges of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress on February 5, 2020.
On October 2, 2020, Trump announced on Twitter that he and first lady Melania Trump had tested positive for coronavirus. On October 12, White House physician Sean Conley announced that Trump had tested negative. for more information on political figures impacted by coronavirus.
Trump was born in Queens, New York, in 1946. He attended Fordham University before transferring to the Wharton School of Finance at the University of Pennsylvania, where he earned a B.S. in economics in 1968.
After graduation, Trump joined his family's company, Elizabeth Trump & Son. He took control of the company in 1971 and later renamed it the Trump Organization. He was involved in a variety of real estate and other business ventures in the following years. From 2004 until 2015, Trump hosted and served as executive producer of The Apprentice on NBC.
In 1999, Trump ran as a Reform Party presidential candidate; he withdrew from the race in February 2000. Between 1987 and 2012, he changed his official party affiliation five times, registering most recently as a Republican in April 2012.
Trump declared his candidacy for the 2016 presidential election on June 16, 2015, and officially received the nomination of the Republican Party on July 19, 2016, at the Republican National Convention.
On November 8, 2016, Trump was elected the 45th president of the United States. He was sworn into office on January 20, 2017.
Below is an abbreviated outline of Trump's professional and political career:
— Number of Grandchildren:
1. What is your stance on abortion?
- Pro-life, but allow in cases of rape, incest, or danger to the mother or child
2. Do you generally support pro-choice or pro-life legislation?
1. In order to balance the budget, do you support an income tax increase on any tax bracket?
2. Do you support expanding federal funding to support entitlement programs such as Social Security and Medicare?
Do you support the protection of government officials, including law enforcement officers, from personal liability in civil lawsuits concerning alleged misconduct?
Do you support requiring states to adopt federal education standards?
Do you generally support gun-control legislation?
1. Do you support repealing the 2010 Affordable Care Act ("Obamacare")?
2. Do you support requiring businesses to provide paid medical leave during public health crises, such as COVID-19?
Should the government raise the retirement age for Social Security?
Should there be fewer or more restrictions on current welfare benefits?
1. Should corporations, unions, and non-profit organizations be allowed to donate to political parties?
2. Do you support the regulation of indirect campaign contributions from corporations and unions?
- Unknown Position
3. Should there be a limit to the amount of money a candidate can receive from a donor?
1. Do you support federal spending as a means of promoting economic growth?
2. Do you support lowering corporate taxes as a means of promoting economic growth?
3. Do you support providing financial relief to businesses AND/OR corporations negatively impacted by the state of national emergency for COVID-19?
1. Do you support the construction of a wall along the Mexican border?
2. Do you support requiring immigrants who are unlawfully present to return to their country of origin before they are eligible for citizenship?
3. Should children of illegal immigrants be granted legal citizenship?
- No, they must formally apply like every other new citizen
Do you support the legalization of Marijuana?
- Yes, but only for medical use
1. Should the United States use military force to prevent governments hostile to the U.S. from possessing a weapon of mass destruction (for example: nuclear, biological, chemical)?
- Unknown Position
2. Do you support reducing military intervention in Middle East conflicts?
Do you support affirmative action programs?
Should the government raise the federal minimum wage?
Should the U.S. raise taxes on the rich?
Should the United States pull all military troops out of Afghanistan?
Should there be term limits set for members of Congress?
Do you generally support removing barriers to international trade (for example: tariffs, quotas, etc.)?
Do you support increasing defense spending?
Should foreign terrorism suspects be given constitutional rights?
- No, they are not U.S. citizens and do not have constitutional rights
Do you support the death penalty?
Should the US increase or decrease foreign aid spending?
Do you believe labor unions help or hurt the economy?
Should the U.S. go to war with Iran?
Should the U.S. provide military assistance to defend Ukraine from Russia?
- Yes, we should provide them weapons to defend themselves but not send our troops
Should there be more restrictions on the current process of purchasing a gun?
Do you support the legalization of same sex marriage?
Should gay couples have the same adoption rights as straight couples?
Should employers be required to pay men and women the same salary for the same job?
- No, there are too many other variables such as education, experience, and tenure that determine a fair salary
Should the government enforce a "stay-at-home" order to combat the coronavirus?
Should the government increase environmental regulations to prevent climate change?
- No, and global warming is a natural occurrence
Should the government continue to fund Planned Parenthood?
- No, and the government should not give funds to any organizations that perform abortions
Do you support the impeachment of President Donald Trump?
- No, this is a partisan show trial
Should the government require children to be vaccinated for preventable diseases?
- No, fund public ad campaigns about the risks and benefits instead
Should marital rape be classified and punished as severely as non-marital rape?
Should health insurers be allowed to deny coverage to individuals who have a pre-existing condition?
Should police officers be required to wear body cameras?
- No, it should be a police department’s or officer’s choice to wear one
Should the federal government institute a mandatory buyback of assault weapons?
Should a business be able to deny service to a customer if the request conflicts with the owner’s religious beliefs?
Should the government regulate the prices of life-saving drugs?
Should "gender identity" be added to anti-discrimination laws?
Should teachers be allowed to carry guns at school?
Should health insurance providers be required to offer free birth control?
Should adults that are illegally attempting to cross the U.S. border be separated from their children?
Should the government increase funding for mental health research and treatment?
- Yes, but only increase funding for personalized care instead of subsidizing pharmaceutical companies
When should your state end the "Stay at Home" order and reopen its economy?
- May 1st
Should the U.S. build a wall along the southern border?
- Yes, and Mexico should pay for it
Should there be a temporary ban on all immigration into the United States?
- No, but we should spend more to increase our border security
Do you support increasing taxes for the rich in order to reduce interest rates for student loans?
Should Muslim immigrants be banned from entering the country until the government improves its ability to screen out potential terrorists?
Should local police increase surveillance and patrol of Muslim neighborhoods?
- Yes, until the frequency of terrorist attacks by Muslim extremists decrease
Should the federal government pay for tuition at four-year colleges and universities?
Should the redrawing of Congressional districts be controlled by an independent, non-partisan commission?
Should the military allow women to serve in combat roles?
- Yes, as long as they can pass the same physical tests as men
Should businesses be required to provide paid leave for full-time employees during the birth of a child or sick family member?
Should illegal immigrants have access to government-subsidized healthcare?
Should people on the "no-fly list" be banned from purchasing guns and ammunition?
Should every 18 year old citizen be required to provide at least one year of military service?
- No, service should be a choice instead of an obligation
Should immigrants be deported if they commit a serious crime?
Should the U.S. remain in the United Nations?
- Yes, but scale back our current involvement
Are you in favor of decriminalizing drug use?
Should foreign lobbyists be allowed to raise money for American elections?
Should the federal government increase funding of health care for low income individuals (Medicaid)?
- No, and each state should decide their own level of coverage
Do you support the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Obamacare)?
- No, open the markets so insurers can compete across state lines and reduce costs
Should the electoral college be abolished?
Should the U.S. raise or lower the tax rate for corporations?
Should local law enforcement be allowed to detain illegal immigrants for minor crimes and transfer them to federal immigration authorities?
- Yes, all illegal immigrants should be turned over to federal authorities and deported
Do you support the use of hydraulic fracking to extract oil and natural gas resources?
Should the government attempt to influence foreign elections?
Should the NSA (National Security Agency) be allowed to collect basic metadata of citizen’s phone calls such as numbers, timestamps, and call durations?
- Yes, basic data collection is necessary to track suspected terrorists
Do you support a single-payer healthcare system?
- No, the government should not be involved in healthcare
Should immigrants be required to learn English?
Should it be illegal to join a boycott of Israel?
Should working illegal immigrants be given temporary amnesty?
- No, but allow them to stay
Should sanctuary cities receive federal funding?
Should transgender athletes be allowed to compete in athletic events?
- No, athletes should compete based on the biological sex that is listed on their birth certificate
1. Should the U.S. remain in NATO?
- No, not until other countries increase their financial contributions
2. Should the U.S. defend other NATO countries that maintain low military defense budgets relative to their GDP?
Should victims of gun violence be allowed to sue firearms dealers and manufacturers?
Should the government give tax credits and subsidies to the wind power industry?
- No, and the government should never support unproven technologies
Should the President be able to authorize military force against Al-Qaeda without Congressional approval?
Should states be allowed to display the Confederate flag on government property?
- No, it should be put in a museum where it was originally flown
Should foreigners, currently residing in the United States, have the right to vote?
Do you support the killing of Iranian Major General Qassem Soleimani?
Should the military be allowed to use enhanced interrogation techniques, such as waterboarding, to gain information from suspected terrorists?
- Yes, we must use any means necessary to prevent terrorism
Should illegal immigrants be offered in-state tuition rates at public colleges within their residing state?
- No, they should pay the same rate as out-of-state students
Should the government regulate social media sites, as a means to prevent fake news and misinformation?
- No, the government should not determine what is fake or real news
Should the U.S. increase restrictions on its current border security policy?
Should a photo ID be required to vote?
Should businesses be required to have women on their board of directors?
- No, board members should be the most qualified regardless of gender
Should the government hire private companies to run prisons?
Should the government prevent "mega mergers" of corporations that could potentially control a large percentage of market share within its industry?
Should internet service providers be allowed to speed up access to popular websites (that pay higher rates) at the expense of slowing down access to less popular websites (that pay lower rates)?
Should disposable products (such as plastic cups, plates, and cutlery) that contain less than 50% of biodegradable material be banned?
Should welfare recipients be tested for drugs?
Should the U.S. expand offshore oil drilling?
Should the U.S. continue to support Israel?
Should immigrants be required to pass a citizenship test to demonstrate a basic understanding of our country’s language, history, and government?
Should terminally ill patients be allowed to end their lives via assisted suicide?
- Yes, but only after a psychological examination to show they fully understand this choice
Should political candidates be required to release their recent tax returns to the public?
Should the U.S. withdraw from the Paris Climate Agreement?
Should the government make cuts to public spending in order to reduce the national debt?
Should the US increase or decrease the amount of temporary work visas given to high-skilled immigrant workers?
Do you support the Patriot Act?
- Yes, but limit the scope of the government’s powers
Should people be required to work in order to receive Medicaid?
Do you support a universal basic income program?
- No, this will encourage people not to work and harm economic growth
Should the federal government be allowed to negotiate drug prices for Medicare?
Should universities provide "trigger warnings" and "safe spaces" for students?
- No, college is meant to challenge students thoughts and opinions so they are prepared for real life
Should it be illegal to burn the American flag?
Should there be a 5-year ban on White House and Congressional officials from becoming lobbyists after they leave the government?
Should the U.S. conduct military strikes against North Korea in order to destroy their long-range missile and nuclear weapons capabilities?
- No, we must use every diplomatic option first
Should the minimum voting age be lowered?
- No, and voters should be required to pass a basic test demonstrating their understanding of politics in order to vote
Should the government pass laws which protect whistleblowers?
Should the U.S. provide military aid to Saudi Arabia during its conflict with Yemen?
- Yes, this will prevent Iran from gaining too much power in the Middle East
Should women be allowed to wear a Niqab, or face veil, to civic ceremonies?
Should the government increase or decrease military spending?
Should the Supreme Court be reformed to include more seats and term limits on judges?
- No, reforming the Supreme Court is unconstitutional and would upset the balance of power
Should prisons ban the use of solitary confinement for juveniles?
Should the IRS create a free electronic tax filing system?
Should the U.S. accept refugees from Syria?
Do you support Common Core national standards?
- No, education should be handled at the state and local level instead of the national level
Should the US assassinate suspected terrorists in foreign countries?
Should the government support a separation of church and state by removing references to God on money, federal buildings, and national monuments?
Should the government increase the tax rate on profits earned from the sale of stocks, bonds, and real estate?
Should researchers be allowed to use animals in testing the safety of drugs, vaccines, medical devices, and cosmetics?
Should cities open drug "safe havens" where people who are addicted to illegal drugs can use them under the supervision of medical professionals?
Should the government stop construction of the Dakota Access pipeline?
Should the U.S. send ground troops into Syria to fight ISIS?
- No, we should stay out of this conflict
Should the government require businesses to pay salaried employees, making up to $46k/year, time-and-a-half for overtime hours?
- No, and the government is currently over-regulating private businesses
Should the government be allowed to seize private property, with reasonable compensation, for public or civic use?
Should the military fly drones over foreign countries to gain intelligence and kill suspected terrorists?
- Yes, the U.S. needs to use all means necessary to combat terrorism
Should the government use economic stimulus to aid the country during times of recession?
Should there be more or less privatization of veterans’ healthcare?
Should producers be required to label genetically engineered foods (GMOs)?
Should the federal government fund Universal preschool?
Should convicted criminals have the right to vote?
Should immigrants to the United States be allowed to hold dual citizenship status?
Should a politician, who has been formerly convicted of a crime, be allowed to run for office?
Do you support mandatory minimum prison sentences for people charged with drug possession?
Should the U.S. continue to participate in the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)?
Should the current estate tax rate be decreased?
- Yes, and we should eliminate it
Do you support the use of nuclear energy?
- Yes, as long as there is no public subsidy
Should drug traffickers receive the death penalty?
Should the government fund space travel?
Should the U.S. formally declare war on ISIS?
- Yes, and send in ground troops
Do you support President Obama’s move to lift the trade and travel embargo on Cuba?
Should the government add or increase tariffs on products imported into the country?
Should the U.S. increase tariffs on imported products from China?
Should the President offer tax breaks to individual companies to keep jobs in the U.S.?
Should the government break up Amazon, Facebook and Google?
Should the Federal Reserve Bank be audited by Congress?
Should the government subsidize farmers?
Should social media companies ban political advertising?
Would you favor an increased sales tax in order to reduce property taxes?
Should the U.S. continue NSA surveillance of its allies?
- Yes, surveillance of all foreign countries is essential to tracking potential terrorist threats
Should U.S. citizens be allowed to save or invest their money in offshore bank accounts?
- No, too many wealthy citizens are abusing loopholes in offshore banking laws to evade taxes
Should pension plans for federal, state, and local government workers be transitioned into privately managed accounts?
Should the U.S. government grant immunity to Edward Snowden?
- No, he should be returned to the U.S. to stand trial and face the consequences of his actions
Do you support charter schools?
Should the U.S. prevent Russia from conducting airstrikes in Syria?
Should non-violent prisoners be released from jail in order to reduce overcrowding?
Do you support the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP)?
- No, this will incentivize companies to move jobs out of the country
Should the U.S. sell military weapons to India in order to counter Chinese and Russian influence?
- Yes, selling military weapons to foreign countries will help boost the economy
Should pension payments be increased for retired government workers?
- No, not until we decrease our national debt
Should the government increase spending on public transportation?
Should Jerusalem be recognized as the capital of Israel?
Should an in-state sales tax apply to online purchases of in-state buyers from out-of-state sellers?
Should the government decriminalize school truancy?
Should the Chinese government be able to extradite fugitives from Hong Kong?
Should cities be allowed to offer private companies economic incentives to relocate?
- Yes, but I would prefer lowering corporate taxes to benefit all local companies
Should the government cancel production of the F-35 fighter?
Should the government classify Bitcoin as a legal currency?
- No, it provides too high of risk for criminal activity
Should the government acquire equity stakes in companies it bails out during a recession?
- No, the government should never own shares of private companies
Should the United States acquire Greenland?
Should the military upgrade Air Force One?
Should sports betting be legal?
- Yes, but let each state decide
1. Do you support government funding for the development of renewable energy (e.g. solar, wind, geo-thermal)?
2. Do you support the federal regulation of greenhouse gas emissions?
An election for president of the United States will be held on November 3, 2020. Trump filed to run for re-election on January 20, 2017.
|Donald Trump (R) presidential ballot access by state|
Vote totals are subject to change until all precincts have reported and each state certifies its results.
|Alabama||On the Ballot|
|Alaska||On the Ballot|
|Arizona||On the Ballot|
|Arkansas||On the Ballot|
|California||On the Ballot|
|Colorado||On the Ballot|
|Connecticut||On the Ballot|
|Delaware||On the Ballot|
|District of Columbia||On the Ballot|
|Florida||On the Ballot|
|Georgia||On the Ballot|
|Hawaii||On the Ballot|
|Idaho||On the Ballot|
|Illinois||On the Ballot|
|Indiana||On the Ballot|
|Iowa||On the Ballot|
|Kansas||On the Ballot|
|Kentucky||On the Ballot|
|Louisiana||On the Ballot|
|Maine||On the Ballot|
|Maryland||On the Ballot|
|Massachusetts||On the Ballot|
|Michigan||On the Ballot|
|Minnesota||On the Ballot|
|Mississippi||On the Ballot|
|Missouri||On the Ballot|
|Montana||On the Ballot|
|Nebraska||On the Ballot|
|Nevada||On the Ballot|
|New Hampshire||On the Ballot|
|New Jersey||On the Ballot|
|New Mexico||On the Ballot|
|New York||On the Ballot|
|North Carolina||On the Ballot|
|North Dakota||On the Ballot|
|Ohio||On the Ballot|
|Oklahoma||On the Ballot|
|Oregon||On the Ballot|
|Pennsylvania||On the Ballot|
|Rhode Island||On the Ballot|
|South Carolina||On the Ballot|
|South Dakota||On the Ballot|
|Tennessee||On the Ballot|
|Texas||On the Ballot|
|Utah||On the Ballot|
|Vermont||On the Ballot|
|Virginia||On the Ballot|
|Washington||On the Ballot|
|West Virginia||On the Ballot|
|Wisconsin||On the Ballot|
|Wyoming||On the Ballot|
Trump won the 2016 presidential election on November 8, 2016. His vice presidential running mate was Indiana Gov. Mike Pence (R).
Trump and Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton were projected to receive 306 and 232 electoral votes, respectively, but seven electors cast votes for other candidates. Trump won 304 electoral votes and Clinton won 227.
U.S. presidential election, 2016
|Party||Candidate||Vote %||Votes||Electoral votes|
|Democratic||Hillary Clinton/Tim Kaine||48.3%||65,844,969||227|
|Republican||Donald Trump/Mike Pence||46.2%||62,979,984||304|
|Libertarian||Gary Johnson/Bill Weld||3.3%||4,492,919||0|
|Green||Jill Stein/Ajamu Baraka||1.1%||1,449,370||0|
|Election results via:|