Mark R. Herring
Wife: Laura; 2 Children: Peyton, Tim
Johnson City, TN
- JD, University of Richmond School of Law, 1990
- MA, Foreign Affairs, University of Virginia, 1986
- BA, Foreign Affairs/Economics, University of Virginia, 1983
- Attorney General, Commonwealth of Virginia, 2013-present
- Senator, Commonwealth of Virginia Senate, 2006-2014
- Candidate, Commonwealth of Virginia Attorney General, 2013
- Candidate, Commonwealth of Virginia Senate, District 27, 2003
- Member, Loudoun County Board of Supervisors, 2000-2003
- Former Member, Commerce and Labor Committee. Virginia State Senate
- Former Member, General Laws and Technology Committee, Virginia State Senate
- Former Member, Local Government Committee, Virginia State Senate
- Former Member, Rehabilitation and Social Services Committee, Virginia State Senate
- Former Member, Subcommittee #2 (General Laws and Technology), Virginia State Senate
- Principal, Herring & Turner P.C, 2011-2014
- Principal, The Herring Law Firm P.C., 2000-2010
- Town Attorney, Town of Lovettsville, 1992-1999
- Attorney, Turner Parks & Herring, P.L.C, 1990-1999
- Member, Alexandria Scottish Rite
- Former Co-Host, "Focus Loudoun"
- Member, Keep Loudoun Beautiful
- Member, Leesburg Kiwanis Club
- Member, Leesburg Presbyterian Church
- Member, Loudoun Chapter, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- Member, Loudoun County Bar Association
- Member, Loudoun County Chamber of Commerce
- Former Chair, Loudoun County, United Way
- Member, Olive Branch Lodge 114
Mark R. Herring is the current Democratic attorney general of Virginia. He was elected on November 5, 2013, and took office January 11, 2014. Herring suceeded Ken Cuccinelli (R), who served from 2010 to 2014.
Herring won re-election to a four-year term on November 7, 2017, defeating Republican John Adams with 53.4 percent of the vote. He ran unopposed in the Democratic primary.
Prior to his election as attorney general, Herring was a Democratic member of the Virginia State Senate, representing District 33 from 2006 until 2014.
Herring received a B.A. in foreign affairs and economics and an M.A. in foreign affairs from the University of Virginia. He also received a J.D. from the University of Richmond. Herring is an attorney at law.