Robert L. Wilkie
- Secretary, United States Department of Veterans Affairs, 2018-present
- Confirmed by United States Senate, Secretary, United States Department of Veterans Affairs, July 23rd, 2018
- Nominated by President Donald Trump, Secretary of Veterans Affairs, United States of America, 2018
- Reserve Officer, United States Air Force Reserve, present
- Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness, United States Department of Defense, present
- Former Vice President for Strategic Programs, CH2M HILL
- Former Counsel and Advisor on International Security Affairs, Former United States Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott
- Served, Joint Forces Intelligence Command, United States Navy Reserve
- Former Senior Director, National Security Council
- Served, Naval Special Warfare Group Two, United States Navy Reserve
- Served, Office of Naval Intelligence, United States Navy Reserve
- Former Senior Advisor, Office of United States Senator Thom Tillis
- Former Special Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs, United States Department of Defense
- Assistant Secretary of Defense, United States Department of Defense, 2005-2009
Robert Wilkie is the current secretary of veterans affairs. He is the 10th person to serve in the position.
President Donald Trump announced his intent to nominate Wilkie for the position on May 18, 2018. He was formally nominated on June 20, 2018. The Senate confirmed his appointment on July 23, 2018, by a vote of 86-9. Wilkie was sworn in on July 30, 2018.
The secretary of veterans affairs oversees the following agencies: the National Cemetery Administration, the Veterans Benefits Administration, and the Veterans Health Administration.
Wilkie earned a bachelor's degree from Wake Forest University, a Juris Doctor from Loyola University College of Law in New Orleans, a Master of Laws in international and comparative law from Georgetown University, and a Masters in strategic studies from the United States Army War College. Wilkie is a reserve officer in the United States Air Force Reserve. Before joining the Air Force, he served in the United States Navy Reserve with the Joint Forces Intelligence Command, Naval Special Warfare Group Two, and the Office of Naval Intelligence.
Wilkie also worked as senior advisor to Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) and as vice president for strategic initiatives for CH2M HILL.
Below is an abbreviated outline of Wilkie's professional career:
- July 23, 2018–Present: Secretary of Veterans Affairs
- November 30, 2017–July 23, 2018: Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness
- 2005–2009: Assistant Secretary of Defense